Vehicle Renewal  Button
Vehicle Renewal  Button
Business Hours on Online Open Sign

Purchase of a Used Vehicle

All vehicles and vessels that will be used within the State of Washington must be licensed. If you purchased your car, truck, boat, camper, or other vehicle or vessel from a dealer, the dealer may have already taken care of the licensing for you. Ask your dealer if this is so.
If the dealer did not do the licensing for you, or if you purchased your vehicle from a private party, you will need to license the vehicle yourself.
To apply for a title, you may either:


Mail all of the items listed below to:
Ridgefield Junction Auto License
7509 South 5th Street, Suite 101-A
Ridgefield, WA 98642.

Some items you will need when you come into the office or mail your documents:

NOTE:  Washington-titled vehicles must be registered within fifteen (15) days after purchase to avoid penalty fees. A $50 penalty is charged on the 16th day with an additional $2.00 charge each day thereafter until a maximum amount of $150 penalty

EMISSIONS:  Please call 1-800-453-4951 or link to the Department of Ecology. (  Or inquire by calling Ridgefield Junction Auto license with the Washington plate or VIN number.  See “Important Phone Numbers Tab” above for the closest testing location for an emissions test. 

THE CLEAN CAR LAW:  Starting with 2009 models, new vehicles must meet strict clean air standards to be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use in Washington.  This includes cars, light duty trucks, and passenger vehicles (SUV’s and passenger vans.  New vehicles that do not meet clean car standards cannot be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use in Washington.  To learn more visit the Department of Ecology website for Washington Clean Car Information.


click here to return to home page